Thursday 18 October 2012

1,000 KILOMETRES

So one of my experiments was to travel 1,000 kilometres promoting the release of the EP. This was a relatively simple experiment and we had it covered within days rather than weeks. I didn't include my trip to London, thought that would be cheating but great too that I did get to the UK as part of the promoting tour.

It really isn't all that hard to cover 1,000 kilometres. I travelled mostly by van to places including Dublin, Cork, Wexford, Tipperary, Athlone, Monaghan, Cavan, Meath, Westmeath among more. Being on the road is great in so many ways. The opportunity to meet and perform for people and to just to get out of the house and away from behind the computer. The downside of it of course is the expense. It cost hundreds of euro to visit those towns and the sales of CD's never quite cover the long journey expenses. There were also nights that we had to stay over so we had to fund accommodation ourselves too. One trip in particular saw us travel from Dublin to Cork then on to Wexford and back to Dundalk in the SAME day!! Most venues don't pay original artists to play, which is without question a bone of contention with me now considering the fact that so many people have told me that in other European countries, they are very good at looking after the artists financially.

Anyways, I did enjoy my 1,000 kilometres experiment despite the cost of it! I enjoyed passing through the counties and seeing a bit of Ireland and saying things like, "well at least we got the good roads of the the celtic tiger". My highlight of being on the road was finding myself doing my make up in some stop off garage on the way, grabbing a wee roll and a cuppa to keep you going on the next leg and tuning into all the different radio stations passing through the counties. It's probably those times that will mean a lot in the future.. good times indeed!

And we smashed the experiment with over 2,000 kilometres travelled in the end..



No comments:

Post a Comment