Thursday 18 October 2012

1,000 WORDS PUBLISHED

So the idea behind this experiment was to write my own press release about the 10,000 project, hopefully make it interesting and convince journalists to write about it over the 12 week period! All the experiments in the project are based on aspects of the music industry, so this one was all about PR skills and the task that is learning what to target, who to target and how to target them.

I hadn't used a PR company for any of my releases so I took the risk of doing this launch again myself plus the budget wasn't there anyways so I had to make the best with my own literacy skills. I had written press releases for the first three singles and 'Dance With Me' managed to get on 'TV3' and 'RTE Radio 1' so I knew I obviously wasn't that bad at writing my own! My leaving cert English teacher Mr.Murray would be proud. Although, don't ask me anything about Shakespeare. 'King Lear' tortured me for my leaving cert. My answer to that part of the leaving cert paper was 'nothing can come of nothing!!'

I scheduled a few different press releases over the course of the project. However, the great news was that the first press release I sent out managed to find it's way onto a few newspapers including The Argus, The Newry Reporter, The Drogheda Independent, The Wexford people among more and the 1,000 words published experiment was met within the first two weeks of the project going live! I didn't continue to add up the words once I went over the 1,000 marks, which I probably should have done but as soon as I had that experiment in the bag, I just left it and moved on..

This was actually the easiest experiment overall. 1,000 words is actually a small amount of words in terms of newspaper articles but in saying that, it was the concept of the experiment that made journalists interested and one thing I always bleat on about is the 'thinking outside the box' side of the industry. So many bands and artists are out there doing pretty much the same thing, hoping to get picked up by management or a label so the problem is trying to stand out. I come up with ideas all the time. Some are crazy, some are great. I get dissappointed when the ideas I get that I think are great, don't come to be because I am not physcially able to manage the project on my own or the financial costs of it are too much. So you have to decide what's 'do-able'. At times, this whole project got too big for me but in saying that, a lot of it was achieved and it was a lot of fun.

Special thanks to Margaret Roddy, Martin Hearty and Jim Hayes who were the first journalists to get straight in there and write about the project.



No comments:

Post a Comment